I'm a title. Click here to edit me.
Rainbow Veggie Skewers
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)...
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste
16 cherry or grape tomatoes
1 red capsicum, cored and cut into 1-inch squares
1 orange capsicum, cored and cut into 1-inch squares
1 yellow squash, halved and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
1 yellow capsicum, cored and cut into 1-inch squares
1 zucchini, halved and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
1 green capsicum, cored and cut into 1-inch squares
1 large red onion, peeled and quartered then cut into bite-sized pieces
8 purple potatoes, halved (or beetroots, peeled & halved)
Vinaigrette: Whisk all ingredients together until blended.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Then add the halved purple potatoes / beetroot and boil for 10 minutes or until fork tender, stirring occasionally. Drain.
Add the purple potatoes / beetroot and remaining vegetables to a large bowl, and toss with the vinaigrette until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes, or up to 8 hours.
When you are ready to cook the vegetables, heat your grill to medium heat. Thread the vegetables onto skewers, in rainbow order if desired. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired. Then place the skewers on an oiled grill and cook for 5-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
Remove and serve immediately.
Yours in health,
Maria Lucey, Nutritionist
Broccoli, Lemon and Feta Fritters
I love the flavours of these fritters as the lemon lifts the saltiness of the feta and goes well with the broccoli. They can be great as a side dish, but sometimes I have these as a main with a salad. This is also a good way to sneak some green veggies into your family’s diet. I am always up for sneaking healthy food into dishes. You could always make these ahead and let sit in the fridge before frying.
375g broccoli, chopped and trimmed florets
120 g feta, crumbled
1 egg, beaten
2 clove garlic, chopped
2 tblspn coconut flour
rind and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tspn pepper
2-3 tspn olive oil
1. Steam the broccoli florets for 12-15 minutes, until tender.
2. Drain the broccoli and allow to cool.
3. In a bowl, mix the lemon rind, lemon juice and garlic.
4. Add the broccoli to the bowl and mash it gently with a fork.
5. Add the egg and feta cheese and blend well.
6. Add the coconut flour to blind, mix well and season with the pepper
7. Take about a tablespoon ball of the mixture in your hands and make into patties. This should yield about 6-8 patties.
8. Heat the oil on a medium heat in a frying pan. Place the patties in the pan and fry on each side until golden. Remember not to let your oil get to smoke point if it does as your cooking them in batches just discard and start again.
Cauliflower Mashed “Potatoes”
This mashed “potatoes” recipe is a remake of a traditional favorite. This recipe is low-carb and anti-inflammatory. Great for diabetics and anyone looking to de-inflame their body and build health. You will love this cauliflower mashed “potatoes” recipe - a perfect Winter treat!
Ingredients (organic if possible)
1 head of cauliflower
Pink salt and black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of grass-fed butter or olive oil
1-2 cloves of garlic (optional) You can substitute garlic for fresh dill or do both!
Turmeric - orange spice that makes the dish look yellow/orange. Or Italian Herbs such as oregano, thyme, basil, etc.
1. Steam cauliflower until soft (boil is not recommended b/c most nutrients are lost).
2. Chop cauliflower and put in food processor or blender with butter/oil, salt, pepper and garlic (or dill) if desired.
3. Blend to desired consistency. Garnish with parsley and enjoy! X