Wondering if you have some tips for sugar cravings. I have been terrible lately and just wanting to pig out on
Attempting to Quit Sugar?!
For the first few days of quitting sugar, it may be smooth sailing. You’ve spring-cleaned your cupboards of nasties and rediscovered your love of fresh veggies. Overall, you’re feeling pretty good! But eventually your body realises that something is not quite the same – what happened to the soft drink, the juices, the granola bars?! Your brain’s sugar-craving hormones kick in and start screaming for the sweet stuff.... Sound familiar?
Here are the 6 best foods for killing your sugar cravings:
1. Coconut oil - it satisfies my need for something sweet and diminishes your appetite.
2. Liquorice tea - with the most amazing sweet aftertaste, you’ll have a hard time believing that it’s naturally sugar-free (unlike the liquorice sweets you can buy).
3. Sweet potato - is one of the most delicious foods. The very small amount of sugar will satisfy your cravings, while the starch stops you from overdoing it. Oh, and sweet potatoes are ridiculously good for you!
4. Carrot sticks - another sweet veggie with lots of fibre to fill you up. Keep an emergency box of carrot sticks in the fridge, ready to be dipped into guacamole or hummus when the cravings strike.
5. Nut butter - nuts are full of good fats and proteins, making them perfect for sugar cravings. Almonds and cashews are naturally sweet, too. (Hot tip: if you make your own nut butter, add a heaped teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix to make the most delicious thing you’ve ever tasted.)
6. 85% dark chocolate - while you’ll have to give up your Mars bars, there’s nothing wrong with a little good quality cacao. A 100g block of 85% dark chocolate has just over a teaspoon of sugar (not that you could finish a whole block!). To take it even further, try a 90% dark chocolate. So good!
Yours in health, Maria X